earn while viewing advertisements

Extending Life

It was late Sunday afternoon when I got a phone call from my sister way back from the other town. My Auntie was in need of blood. She had been confined to a hospital for more than 3 days now and as to what I had observed, she was not getting any better.

She was a cancer patient, breast cancer made her that way. She had her breast cut, put away some muscles and tissues and undergone s chemo-therapy. That was 6 months ago. I thought she would survive. But my thoughts were just plain thoughts. It will never come true. For every day, she is getting weaker and weaker. We don't have enough money to complete her therapy so she has just gotten 3 doses, through the help of some good hearted people. When there is no more hope for the sickness, she was desperate to find ways to live and survive. She resorted to the traditional medicine here in our country, some kind of massage therapy "hilot" as we came to call it here. I don't know what or why she has done it but it somehow amplified the damage and now, she was bedridden for a week.

It is hard to think that she would say goodbye to us for she was my childhood guardian who was always there for me when I needed care. I couldn't think of anything else but to help her ease the pain that she is now enduring. If only I could take half of it, she would be better.

Before it is too late, she was taken to the hospital for a check up, but the doctors insisted that she had to be confined. So she was, and there was an order for her to undergo blood transfusion. I volunteered to be a donor. It was my first time to donate blood and I really know nothing about the process. Somebody said it was painful but I am more than ready to take that small pinch of pain to extend my Aunties dwindling life. How much is a pinch of pin pain than a cancer pain??? It was a priceless gift, though she would never knew it or she would never feel it, still, I should be thankful she had taken care of me while I was young and now it is my turn to bring something back to her. I took the pain, its not really painful, nothing much than a bite of an ant, but to undergo an ordeal with many people thinking I could not do it, is a challenge that I must overcome, and I did. Even till now, she is teaching me lessons in life, though bedridden, I can still recall how strong her personality was.

I would never want to forget her, just like my 2nd mother. I don't want to see her in pain and weary, I'll just want to see her smile once again, though not here, but she will always be alive in my memories.

No comments: